Tiedje Lab - Job Ads (2 ads, Sept. 2016)
1) DuPont Research Scientist:
Bioinformatics & Microbial Genomics -- Madison, WI
- Come join our Nutrition & Health team in Madison, Wisconsin as a Research Scientist: Bioinformatics & Microbial Genomics
Visit their website for further information -- http://careers.dupont.com/jobsearch/job-details/research-scientist-bioinformatics-microbial-genomics/010229W-01/
We are looking for a highly motivated computational biologist in the field of microbial genomics. The successful applicant should be proficient in Next-Gen Sequence analysis, with expertise in genome and transcriptome assembly, annotation, variation detection, and comparative genomics. In addition, the applicant should have a strong intuitive understanding of microbial physiology and processes. This position will be leveraged by both Probiotics and Cultures within DuPont Nutrition and Health division.
As part of this team, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing data analysis capabilities, consultation, and expertise to researchers utilizing NGS data for applied microbial genomics. This person will partner with the sequencing lab, software developers, R&D scientists and computational biologists to provide bioinformatics solutions and support. A critical aspect of this position involves working with teams across multiple locations, and will require effective project coordination and communication skills. This is an exciting opportunity for candidates with strong data driven skills and who want to work at the interface of computational and experimental biology.
- Apply state-of-the-art tools for assembly, alignment, and analysis of NGS data.
- Assist in the design of sequencing experiments catered to the research goals of the project.
- Apply and develop tools for microbial genome annotation and curation.
- Contribute the development of innovative pipelines for NGS data analysis and interfaces for researchers to explore results.
- Provide feedback to the sequencing lab and assist with new method development.
- PhD in Microbiology, Genetics, Genomics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Expertise with next-generation sequencing data and strong computer skills, preferably in the context of microbial genomics.
- Expertise in state-of-the-art tools for genome assembly and finishing, variation detection, comparative genomics, metagenomics, transcriptomics, or genome annotation would be highly desirable.
- Experience with large-scale data management or data visualization would be a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly motivated with strong problem solving skills and capable of working both independently and in multifunctional team settings.
- Some travel may be required, not to exceed 25%.
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer and an E-Verify employer.
Visit page and click the "APPLY NOW" button.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2) Research and Development Scientist --
Dow Microbial Control, Collegeville, PA
- Visit their website for further information -- http://www.dow.com/en-us/careers/working-at-dow
We request the following information from interested candidates:
- Cover Letter (1-page)
- CV / Resume (1-2 pages)
- Research Summary (2 pages maximum, summarizing research significance)
Please provide the requested documents to Lisa Powers, PhD [email@example.com; please use the subject line: Dow Microbial Control Campus Recruiting (R&D SCIENTIST)].
The Dow Chemical Company is a company of solution providers, working together for positive impact on customers, our communities, and the world. We offer long-term adventure and daily rewards--and the opportunity to carve out a unique and vibrant career path.
Dow Microbial Control is focused on providing sustainable solutions, based on innovative science and technology, for microbial control in a wide variety of industries. These application areas range from preservation of paints and personal care products to treatment of large scale water process systems such as cooling water, pulp & paper, and oilfields.
Dow Microbial Control is a leader in microbial control for energy, water treatment, paints/coatings, personal care, and other hygiene applications, providing world class products and technical service to enable our customers to solve their microbial control challenges. Our purpose is to predict, diagnose, and sustainably solve the planetís most difficult microbial problems.
Dow Microbial Control is committed to maintaining and building our success in the United States, and we have an opportunity for an experienced, dynamic person to join our team as a Research and Development Scientist.
- Development and application of new microbial control technology including new formulations and active delivery systems, treatment methods and systems, and application strategies in close collaboration with customers and development partners.
- Development of new laboratory methods and capabilities for evaluating the performance or health & environment impact of industrial microbial control technologies in various markets. These markets could include, but are not limited to, energy (primarily oil and gas), water treatment, paints and coatings, personal care, hygiene, and other microbial control applications.
- Field implementation of product launches and new applications, including close interaction with customers.
- Determination of technological needs and/or opportunities for the application of microbial control technologies in industrial applications
- Participation in key technical and professional organizations and symposia targeted at microbial control for industrial applications and consumer products. While doing so the R&D Scientist will develop a network of technical contacts in industry.
- Monitoring and benchmarking of existing and emerging microbial control technologies, including evaluation of competitive product performance and competitive actives.
- Collaboration with external R&D partners including customers, external development partners, strategic universities, contract laboratories, or other research institutions that enable new technology development.
- Working with a collaborative team and across functions including laboratory, sales, manufacturing, R&D, and technical service personnel across the region, globe and across other Dow businesses, all to drive business success.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Polymer Science, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, or Biomolecular Engineering; a strong applications mindset is critical; a working knowledge of microbiology and/or molecular biology is desirable.
- A proven track record of original research contributions, including experience in publishing and presenting technical papers in scientific journals and at professional symposia is important.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A results-oriented drive.
- Dedication to pursuing a long-term career in the industrial sector.
- A forward-thinking, customer-focused and creative mind.
- A passion for excellence and a proven ability to succeed. The job is located in the Dow research center in Collegeville, Pennsylvania. The job requires project related travel as well as customer specific travel for field trials, technical conferences and customer interactions to about 10-25% of the time.
- Protecting the planet through responsible operations, unique collaborations, and the pursuit of breakthrough technologies aimed at solving world challenges.
- A workplace that thrives on employee development, proactive career feedback, health and wellness offerings, flexible work policies, diversity and inclusion, recognition, and employee engagement.
- A creative, dynamic, and friendly work environment that values diverse perspectives, is mutually respectful, and benefits from the vision and mentoring of leaders who rank among the best in the industry.
© 2016 The Dow Chemical Company. All rights reserved.
Role and Responsibilities
The position will primarily focus on:
Education and Experience Requirements
The ideal candidate will have:
About The Dow Chemical Company
The Dow Chemical Company is a company of solution providers, working together for positive impact on customers, our communities, and the world. We offer long-term adventure and daily rewards--and the opportunity to carve out a unique and vibrant career path. We both expect and nurture leadership in every employee as we challenge each other to be the best. Our collective concern for the world around us drives us to put our expertise and imagination to work to create a better future. Our commitments include:
You can dream those big dreams and take those bold steps at Dow. Our global scale and breadth offer the flexibility to seek multiple careers within one company. We deeply value, reward, and recognize excellence at all levels.